24 setembro 2009

I can't let go of summer [my thoughts exactly] [only I'm not in California :(]

But my planet is making me.
Tuesday was the Autumnal Equinox, one of two days out of the year when day and night are of equal length. For a moment, the earth's axis will not be tilted toward or away from the sun but rather level with it.
Our daylight will grow shorter and our nights longer.
When I lived in New England, the prospect of waning daylight depressed me for days. I wanted to either jump on a plane heading to the southern hemisphere for the beginning of their spring. Or hibernate waiting for the Vernal Equinox.
But now I live in San Francisco where the sun waits patiently in the wings behind a curtain of coastal fog in July and August. Then springs to center stage in September.
Our summer is just beginning. While the rest of the country is adding toasty sweaters and scarves to their wardrobe, we’re finally shedding ours. Roaming about in sleeveless tops, sandals and shorts.
I will take my cues from the weather forecast of a high of 79 today and ignore the earth’s tilt for as long as I can.

Sem comentários: