26 julho 2006

What's in your basket?

'Hang on, sorry can you say that again... Chloe Whiskey? Okay. I don't drink to get drunk I drink to stay calm and relaxed and able to deal with people that annoy me. Frascati is one of my favourite wines because it is the easiest to get in Ireland. I like good dry white wine therefore I like Italian or Spanish or... er... two or three French ones and a couple of German ones. I go for what I can get - wine is wine.

Nenagh milk comes fresh from the local dairy. Everyday I walk past the cow that I get my milk from. I drink a lot of milk but it's mainly for White Russians, a cocktail that's made with Kahlua, vodka and milk. I just have one handy, then I get sick of them after a while and I switch back to something like gin and tonic. If I'm hungry and I'm in a hurry I'll eat macaroni cheese. They've got ring pull tabs so you can rip the top of the tin, grab a spoon, jump in the car and fuck off somewhere and eat it on the way.

I get brown breadbecause it's better for you. I have the occasional egg, there's always eggs around. Occasionally I need an egg or someone else needs an egg...er... so I make eggs. I fry them and have them with the bread.

I only occasionally cook for myself but I've never cooked anything I've liked for myself. My eating and drinking patterns are extremely varied, whether I'm on the road, at home, recording. I'd love to sit down for a meal but I generally do that in a restaurant. I've cooked for myself when I couldn't afford to go to restaurants and when I didn't have a missus, who I'm not with all the time anyway. When we are together she's a very good cook. As the last resort I'd cook for myself. I like good Irish food, good steak, like you know, good... good boiled bacon, good bit of spuds, good Italian food, good Japanese food... What's your name again? Chloe.... Whiskey... Chloe Diski. Okay, thanks Chloe

McCambridge Irish stoneground wholewheat bread
People with yeast sensitivities frequently react better to soda bread than to most types of commercially manufactured bread made from yeast cultures. I'm pleased that Shane has chosen it because it will provide his body with some much-needed fibre to cushion the negative effects of the other products in his shopping basket. If you accompany wholemeal bread with plenty of water, the fibre will swell in the stomach, enabling the body to limit its absorption of fat, sugar, alcohol and other foods that are only healthy in moderation.

Cork dry gin
There are many downsides to drinking gin. Firstly, most people delude themselves into thinking that a home-poured gin and tonic equals its bar equivalent, when, in fact, it equals two or three bar singles. Secondly, because spirits are often drunk on an empty stomach and therefore enter the bloodstream immediately, the alcohol's effect can be virtually instantaneous, hard-hitting and long-lasting, making you less inclined to cook a healthy meal afterwards and indirectly leading to bad eating habits. Alternatively, alcohol can exaggerate the hunger mechanism, causing you either to eat more than usual for supper or to wake up feeling ravenous during the night. And before you know it, you'll have consumed a lot of calories.

A barrel of Guinness
Why stop at a bottle when you can have a barrel? Many people misguidedly think that Guinness is a healthy drink, believing it to be a tonic. I don't want to enter into a libellous relationship with the manufacturers of Guinness, but must point out that although it does contain a small amount of iron, it is not enough to endow it with miraculous, health-giving properties. (Incidentally, champagne and red wine contain more iron than stouts like Guinness, while despite stouts' vitamin B and antioxidant content, they are higher in calories.) If you're feeling under the weather and don't feel like eating, a glass of Guinness can, of course, stimulate your appetite and give you calories, but then so can any other alcoholic drink.

Fresh farm eggs
Lucky Shane, being able to get hold of eggs shortly after they've been laid. They'll taste their best and will also provide his body with protein, which helps to build and maintain strong muscles, which is particularly important if you exercise regularly because exercise breaks down muscle fibre. Although eggs contain cholesterol, they don't have a significant effect on the blood's cholesterol level, unlike foods that are high in saturated fat, such as cream, butter, cheese and fatty meats. For this reason, I'm afraid, fried eggs receive the thumbs down!

Untreated milk
Delicious as it is, untreated milk is a potential health hazard for most people because, unlike pasteurised milk, it may contain pathogenic bacteria, such as E. coli, salmonella and campylobacter, which can cause food poisoning, especially in children, pregnant women and older people. It's therefore advisable to boil untreated milk before drinking it. Shane's milk will also be full cream, which means that it will be high in saturated animal fats and triglycerides, which can increase the risk of developing atherosclerosis. To lessen this risk, dilute the milk with water.

Tinned macaroni cheese
Basing my assumptions on both his shopping basket and Irish people's high genetic susceptibility to heart disease, Shane's penchant for macaroni cheese worries me. High intakes of saturated fat dramatically increase the risk of heart disease, particularly if exacerbated by a low-fibre, high-alcohol diet, along with a sedentary lifestyle and smoking. And not only does macaroni cheese contain a lot of fat, but its high calorie content can lead to weight gain. One way of mitigating these negative effects is to team it with some fresh, fibre-containing vegetables, although I somehow doubt that this advice will appeal to Shane. Fatty foods increase the risk of suffering from heartburn and reflux, too, so if you're feeling stressed and your stomach's producing a lot of acid, eating macaroni cheese may result in an uncomfortable few hours.

Who? The Pogues' Shane MacGowan :))

Sem comentários: