06 janeiro 2010

Wuthering Heights - book covers, English editions

The textile artist Celia Birtwell conjures up the wind and the weather of Emily Brontë's masterpiece, Wuthering Heights, in a cover designed for White's Books. We take a look at how recent editions have summoned up the spirit of Cathy



'One may guess the power of the north wind blowing over the edge by the excessive slant of a few stunted firs at the end of the house, and by a range of gaunt thorns all stretching their limbs one way, as if craving alms of the sun. Happily the architect had foresight to build it strong. The narrow windows are deeply set in the wall, and the corners defended with large jutting stones.'



'I wish I were out of doors! I wish I were a girl again, half savage and hardy and free, and laughing at injuries, not maddening under them! Why am I so changed? Why does my blood rush into a hell of tumult at a few words? I'm sure I should be myself were I once among the heather on those hills.'
The moor, the house, Cathy and Heathcliff all meet on the cover of this comic version of Wuthering Heights, first published in the 1940s

A Guardian gallery

Sem comentários: