29 julho 2006

Trip down memory lane: Zubrowka with Grzegorz in Germany

Bison Grass Vodka - a potato vodka from Poland that is infused with an herb known as bison grass. Bison grass vodka is also called "zubrowka."

Since the 13th century, the vodka has been heralded for its supposed aphrodisiac and virility-inducing qualities. Until the 1970s, bison grass vodka was banned from the US because of its reputation as a medicinal drink. Hey, I didn't say it, but I know you're thinking it - hallucinatory? mind-altering?

I tried zubrowka for the first time at a Polish restaurant in Santa Monica, Warszawa. The server poured the clear, though slightly ivory-tinted lquid into a shot glass and said I should try it straight to really taste the difference from regular vodka. It had a very distinctive taste - something like a slightly sweet vanilla mixed with herb - though the flavor wasn't overpowering. It was pretty tasty, and certainly much nicer to drink straight vodka that had a little bit of flavor to it than say, straight Belvedere.

More recently, I tried zubrowka in a cocktail at a vodka lounge. The bartender mixed the bison grass vodka with apple juice, which seems to be a fairly common mixer for the stuff. I didn't like it at all - it tasted like alcoholic herbal apple juice. I'd rather have bison grass vodka straight.

Both occcasions, I did not notice either the aphrodisiac or virility properties of the vodka. Oh well.

From Slashfood

Sem comentários: